Buying a new lawn mower that’s perfect for you and your garden can be a complete minefield with so many varieties, makes, and choice out there these days. Do you pick petrol or electric? How about hand or ride on? Which is the best? And what’s a good value price point?
We are going to cover all the different types of lawn mowers in this guide from unpowered push mowers through to lawn tractors, don't view this as the top ten of any category - as in this article we only include:
- One manual lawn mower
- Two Corded electric lawn mowers
- Two Cordless battery powered electric mowers
- One robotic lawn mower
- Two Petrol mowers
- Two Ride on mowers
We will start with the unpowered and work our way through. If you know what type of mower you are looking for already then see the above for links to dedicated guides featuring more models.
Unpowered reel mowers
As a relatively inexpensive choice of lawn mower, you can also feel good about yourself as it’s great for the environment, leaving not a trace of carbon footprint behind. If you have a small lawn it is worth considering an eco-friendly hand mower and getting a bit of exercise as you do your mowing.
You can feel good about yourself for two more reasons too:
- Reel mowers will also give you a precision scissor cut that rotary mowers will not.
- Be nice to your neighbours as they allow quiet operation throughout usage.
1. Best Manual Lawn Mower
The Bosch Manual Garden Lawn Mower AHM 38G is a bargain hand lawn mower, thanks to high geared side wheels it is easy to maneuver to hard to reach areas of your lawn.
The handle is easily adjustable to your height ensuring comfortable usage, and an ergonomic cushioned grip will help you to get the job done smoothly.
The Bosch is simple to use and perfect for small, flat lawns that require minimal effort to keep trim and maintained with a precision cut. It boasts am 38cm cutting reel.
It has many five-star ratings, with one reviewer writing, “This little beauty is great for a female senior citizen! So lightweight and easy to use. I had difficulty with starting a petrol mower and now I can mow when I want and how I want. No fuel to buy and I get exercise at the same time. Best buy!”
- Cylinder cut system with 5 curved blades made from hardened steel
- Compact dimensions so you will find it is easy to maneuver in relatively tight spaces and simple to find enough storage space for it in your garage or tool shed.
- Multiple cutting heights: Adjustable between 15mms and 43mms.
- 25L Grass Catcher Included in Box
Corded Electric mowers
2. The ultimate electric lawn mower for under $230
At a very modest price that by no means reflects its quality, the Bosch ARM 37 Electric Lawn Mower offers excellent agility for a thorough sharp cut of your lawn, no matter what its condition. A lightweight machine, it features a 1400W motor that is powerful enough to complete a great job of mowing the lawn whilst not harming the environment with petrol fumes or decaying batteries.
With quiet operation and a safety switch for protected mowing, it’s a low maintenance lawn mower with an impressive 40 litre grass catcher, this comes from a brand you can trust and is our pick for the best small electric mower on the market. It only has a 37cm or 14.5inch cutting deck so we wouldn't recommend it for a large lawn, but for small lawns it is perfect.
It is great for taking up only a little storage space thanks to its clever construction and compact design.
- 12kg -Very light for easy transportation
- Built in transport handles
- Protection against engine overload
- Motor Power: 1400 W
- Five height adjustment positions - between 20 - 70cm with easy adjustment of cutting height via central lever
- Ergonomic Ergoflex handlebar for comfortable steering and improved posture helping to reduce muscular fatigue
- 40-litre capacity clippings collector to reduce time taken to empty clippings
- Doubly foldable handlebar and the stackable clippings collector to help save space
- Comes with a 2 year warranty from Bosch Australia
3. The hovering electric lawn mower
Introducing the Flymo SimpliGlide 360 Hover Mower – it might be your dream electric lawn mower for a small lawn. Thanks to its 1800W motor, it provides that extra power over the Bosch above, although the 360mm cutting width is actually smaller and it is a little more expensive than the equivalent Bosch model, it is uniquely maneuverable due to it's hover design.
- Super Lightweight at only 7.6 kg.
- Folds for easy carrying and storage.
- Floating on a cushion of air, the unique hover design ensures the grass is not flattened before it is cut, producing a superior result.
- Dual lever for easy, comfortable, right or left-handed use.
- Cutting height can be adjusted to four different levels.
- Cutting height minimum is 1cm and maximum is 3cm.
Battery Powered Electric Lawn Mowers
For more models see our article focussed on the Best battery powered lawn mowers you can get in Australia.
4. The most powerful cordless lawn mower
The AEG 58V Brushless Lawn Mower Kit is excellent for small to medium sized lawns and is extremely convenient thanks to its battery power that means it’s totally cordless for a smooth lawn cut.
Thanks to AEG’s advanced battery technology, the cordless lawn mower’s brushless motor provides a more powerful performance over a longer lifetime – all whilst allowing simple maintenance and little noise. You’ll be amazed it isn’t petrol lawn mower! What’s more, it even features load sensing technology for greater power against tougher cuts, and it has a maneuverable design for portability and storage.
The AEG 58V Brushless Lawn Mower Kit is available at some bunnings stores, if interested, it is best to check if in stock at your local store.
5. The self-propelled lawn mower for $849
The Ryobi 36V 6.0Ah 20” Self-Propelled Lawn Mower offers the ultimate lawn mowing experience thanks to its state of the art technology that provides an extremely powerful mow. As a self-propelled lawn mower, you can expect less effort and strain, and this particular tool offers variable speed and an increased runtime before recharging.
With foldable handles, it features great portability and storage, as well as a generous 20” deck to ensure the job gets done in less time. Additional benefits include a fast charger and height adjustment to allow for a variety of cutting heights.
Robotic Lawn Mowers
We have only include one budget robotic mower in this guide, for more models check out our guide:
The Best Robotic Lawn Mowers Available in Australia
6. The bargain bot under $1,000
It's still difficult to find robotic lawn mowers under $1,000, a new Australian brand is looking to change this. Their entry level Moebot 800 is capable of mowing an area up to 800sqm.
- 3 blade cutting system
- Adjustable cutting height
- Pick up, bump and rain sensors
- In built WIFI and comes with a phone APP
The Moebot 800 is equipped with 3 blades that cut grass into a fine mulch, which makes great fertiliser. Removing the need to pick up any clippings once done. Like the more expensive models the Moebot 800 automatically recharges when the battery runs low and then continues working. You can even set a schedule for it using the smart app. It is very quiet and the best you can get under $1,000.
Petrol mowers offer more power than electric and can run for longer than cordless electric mowers, with all the moving parts they will require more maintenance than their electric cousins. Below we include a couple of our favourite walk behind petrol models, however see our 10 best petrol mowers article for a longer list of what we consider suitable for domestic use.
7. The long-lasting petrol lawn mower under $500
For a long-lasting and powerful mow, the Masport 450ST S18 2n1, Cut, Catch & Mulch Petrol Lawn Mower is your machine. With a steel casing that’s resistant to rust and a super powerful 140cc 550E series engine, it’s a great petrol lawn mower that boasts both performance and resilience for years of lawn cutting.
With RapidStart technology, it’s never been easier to get going, and the heavy duty body makes it suitable and powerful enough for all kinds of lawn condition – it also handles larger areas particularly well. With a four blade disc system, it’s an excellent lawn mower for catching grass, thanks to an increased airflow and a 46.5L catcher volume.
The additional comfortable PVC grip on the upper handle makes it a dream to use.
While it has an RRP of $519 you can currently find it under $500 at amazon.com.au:
Buy the Masport 450ST S18 2n1, Cut, Catch & Mulch Petrol Lawn Mower.
8. The Professional Grade petrol lawn mower under $850
Well the RRP of this model is $949, however you can pick it up for less.
The Masport 19" Contractor is a professional's mower, just like the 21" models, this model features a commercial grade Kawasaki 179cc OHV Series FJ 180V IC 4 stroke engine. This mower is made for tough going conditions and very regular mowing. The high arch heavy duty steel chassis is able to withstand sandblasting and hard impacts and combined with the 4 blade cutting system results in supreme cutting, mulching and catching performance. The cast alloy wheels are extremely tough and are designed to operate under commercial conditions limiting possible down time for repairs. It has an open rear chute to allow great grass flow and catcher-full performance in a hard HDPE catcher.
- Cut, Catch & Mulch
- Powered by Kawasaki 179cc OHV Series FJ 180V IC 4 stroke engine
- Cast iron sleeve in cylinder
- 485mm (19") deep draw heavy duty steel chassis
- Steel front bumper and engine guard offer protection to the cutting chassis
- Bolt in front axle with steel bearing plates bolted directly to the chassis
- Masport Quadcut 4 Blade Disc System for superior catching due to increased airflow
- Large wide diameter professional grade heavy duty cast aluminium Front 200mm (8") and Rear 200mm (8") wheels with synthetic rubber tyres and precision 6202 sealed ball bearings
- Comfortable and sturdy upturned upper handle with soft grip, large diameter and heavier gauge steel tube
- Robust lower handle with additional bracing for extra durability
- 3 position handle locking system for different height settings
- HDPE Plastic Catcher with 'full' indicator
- Steel rear flap
- Zone start for comfortable starting position
Ride on mowers
Ride on mowers are made for lawns that are bigger than you would want push a walk-behind mower around. If mowing your lawn currently takes you more than two hours then consider one of these, or get a professional lawn mowing service to do it for you.
9. The excellent value for money ride on lawn mower
The Masport Mini Rider is a ride on petrol lawn mower that is both comfortable and fast for larger areas of lawn that require a precise cut.
With a reliable Briggs & Stratton 190cc electric start engine, it’s a great value ride on mower that features a 24” steel side discharge cutting deck that doesn’t require tools to remove to ensure efficient mowing, and it’s extremely easy to use. With six speed options and a steel bumper, it’s a heavy duty machine that’s ideal for yards. What’s more, as a relatively compact ride on mower, it’s perfect for those who require a machine that is easy to store.
10. The ultimate ride on mower
So actually this one is classed as a lawn tractor and is a step up, lawn tractors offer more powerful engines and wide cutting decks, if you happen to have a golf course in your backyard, grab yourself one of these!
The Victa 22HP Zero Turn Petrol Lawn Tractor is one of the very best ride on machines in the game. Mow like a pro thanks to its agile 360 degree turning that enables you to glide round objects including trees and hedges to reduce time.
With its high performance Briggs & Stratton Intek V-Twin engine, you’re guaranteed an extremely powerful mow as well as a ride on mower that’ll last you many years of top notch lawn mowing. Its fully welded steel chassis with thick walled front axle makes it suitable for both residential and commercial use, and it has a durable and simple to use foot-operated deck lift. To ensure smooth usage, it also features a handy integrated handbrake and electric blade engagement.
This short video from Howcast is a helpful starting point if you need a refresher on the criteria for determining the perfect lawnmower for you and your lawn’s needs.*It's not Will Ferrell!*
Great, you’ve chosen your perfect lawn mower! Now what? Take a look at this informative video from Bunnings on how to maintain your lawn mower for years of great mowing with your chosen machine.